Final Video

Here is just the rendered image sequence from straight from Maya, I have included this to show the work done on after effects in the post production stage.

In After Effects I first started by tracking the camera movement, so my background would move within the same motion of the camera, I also added distortion of the edge of the background to align with the compositions high FOV. This camera track would also prove to be useful later on during the process, when I was adding the snow flakes, the camera track made it possible for the camera to move through the swirling snow and give a real sense of depth and reality to the scene. To create the snow I used the TrapCode Particular plugin, a particle FX plugin. Next was adding in a slight vignette, again to add depth, and adding some colour grading, the biggest changes would be bumping up the saturation to make it pop and adding an orange hue to better link the colour schemes between the three different scenes. At the end I have added a few flashes of the portal with a figure of a man coming through it, I have added this as I was unsure how clear the narrative was and I needed something to represent that it was a time machine. Lastly I added the sound effects, I have tried to match the sound to the camera, so sounds are louder as the camera is closer and quieter when its further away, I also added some reverb to the effects within the cave, this reverb really gives the viewer a sense of place within a cave.

 

Final Video

 

Conclusion

Looking back over my video and the project as whole I am quite pleased with the outcome. During the process I have I have greatly improved my skills of modelling and texturing and also my lighting and camera skills have improved. I have learnt how to create and use particle and fluid dynamics effectively, along with gaining new plug in knowledge of FumeFX. I wanted to start using Houdini for this project but after creating some fire within Houdini, I realised when trying to render, that the student version of Houdini has a large water mark on it so I was unable to use it. This led me to use FumeFX, a plug-in for Maya for creating smoke, fire an explosions. If given more time I would have liked to spend more time refining the look of the fire. Being my first time I’m OK with the look, but I would have liked to increase the resolution of the flames to make it look more realistic. However this would’ve taken a big hit on the render time and I wouldn’t have enough time within my plan. Another thing I would improve next time is just making the whole animation a bit longer, spending more time on key moments in the scene, at the moment I think it moves too quickly through certain parts and it can make the narrative unclear. This again however, would not have been possible at it would’ve taken too long to render. Finally I would have liked to render everything at a higher resolution. At the moment the resolution is set to 960×540, I did this to try and improve the render times and have a finished product to show. I will be re-rendering everything in 1080p later on so I have something of a higher quality to include in my show reel.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s